Silicon Valley Insider talked to Marc Frons, chief technology officer of NYTimes digital, about the projects he’s working on and the development that they’ll be rolling out in the near future. Here’s a brief overview:
Things we have already covered:
- Those APIs: the plan is to eventually let developers outside of the Times play with its content and create new sites or services.
- Times People: expect more development so it’s not just a browser plug-in.
The shock of the new:
- Widgets: Customisable box of Times stories, video, slideshows and the rest on your blog or social network page? Yes please.
- Aggregation: It bought Blogrunner an eternity ago and uses it now just to pull content from partner sites into NYTimes – think PaidContent, CNET stuff on the Tech pages. But ‘bigger plans’ are afoot – Frons won’t say more though.
- Apps: Yes, NYTimes.com is working on apps for Apple’s forthcoming iPhone store.