Tool of the week: Geofeedia
What is it? A tool that allows you to search for a location and find geolocated tweets, photos and videos.
How is it of use to journalists? This tool offers potential for journalists faced with verifying a breaking news story. Search for a postcode, country, school or sporting stadium and you can see geolocated social media content posted on Twitter, Instagram, Picasa, Flickr and YouTube.
Imagine hearing reports of a fire. With Geofeedia you could enter the address and see what images, videos and tweets are being shared on social media.
Hat tip: Poynter, which has reported that Geofeedia came out of private beta earlier this week.
Find out more about verification by reading this Journalism.co.uk guide.
- Tool of the week for journalists – Rippla, for tracking the social ‘ripples’ of news stories
- Tool of the week for journalists – Trendsmap, for tracking conversations in your area
- Tool of the week for journalists – Topsy, real-time search for the social web
- Tool of the week for journalists: Thinglink, for interactive images
- #bbcsms: Storify summary of the BBC Social Media Summit