Apple’s new Newsstand app resulted in two million digital downloads of Future Publishing titles in the first four days, resulting in consumer spending well in excess of normal monthly revenues, the magazine publisher has said in a release.
Newsstand, which provides iPhone and iPad users who have updated their devices to iOS 5, released last week (12 October), with a dedicated portal to download magazines from the App Store, “creates an amazing opportunity for publishers”, Future UK’s CEO Mark Wood said.
Future Publishing, which has titles including .net, Procycling and Digital Camera, released 55 digital magazines to Newsstand on the day of launch. It has since released more and now has 65 UK and US digital magazines available, some free and some paid-for.
We plan to include more sampler issues in every magazine container in coming weeks, as well as uploading high price-point bookazines and premium one-shot titles.
- Future reports 6m app downloads in six weeks
- Future Publishing launches iPad-only title as second screen to computer
- Magazine publisher Imagine looks to iPads and iPhones with digital editions launch
- #mms12: Lessons for consumer publishers from Immediate Media
- ‘The tipping point is now’: BBC and Future outline mobile strategies at Publishing Expo