Film-makers have the chance to win a $25,000 grant in the first annual Vimeo Awards, which will recognise short films in a variety of categories.
The grant will go to the winner of the Vimeo Award, or Grand Prize, who will be selected from the individual category winners. The Vimeo Award winner will receive the grant to create an original piece of work, which will be premiered at the Vimeo Festival and Awards in 2011. It will also feature on the video site’s homepage.
Winning entrants from individual categories will have their work promoted on Vimeo’s homepage and the Vimeo Festival and Award Site.
The deadline for submissions is July 31 and winners will be announced by October 9. Entries cost $20 or $5 for Vimeo Plus paid subscribers.
A two-day festival will be held on 8-9 October in New York to accompany the contest. It will include panels, parties and screenings of the winning entries.
The guidelines for Documentary entries are as follows:
- Short films/videos that seek to document compelling actuality or reality
- Maximum Length: 20 minutes
- Description: Short films/videos that seek to document compelling actuality or reality
- Requirements: Submissions must be a short documentary piece that exemplifies the art of non- fiction storytelling
- Submissions may include a variety of storytelling methods: presenter led or narrated, fly on the wall, point of view, ambient or personal stories
- Submissions should be a complete idea that is presented in a clear, innovative and original way.
- Judging criteria: We are looking for creative excellence in pieces that push the boundaries of documentary film-making.