The organisation that runs Wikipedia, the Wikimedia Foundation, has received a $2 million grant from Google, or more specifically, Google Inc. Charitable Giving Fund of Tides Foundation.
The funds will support core operational costs of the Wikimedia Foundation, including investments in technical infrastructure to support rapidly-increasing global traffic and capacity demands. The funds will also be used to support the organization’s efforts to make Wikipedia easier to use and more accessible.
For the 2009/10 fiscal year, Wikimedia raised over $8 million in its annual fundraiser, from over 230,000 donors, it was announced last month.
- #ftmedia12: Jimmy Wales’s advice for journalists on using Wikipedia
- New financial stocks site for Wikia; hopes to attract whistleblowers
- Wikileaks temporarily closes due to lack of funds
- Knight Foundation senior advisor receives Markoff award for investigative reporting fund
- Media release: AFP Foundation to donate 25 laptops to journalists