Statement from Wilmington, publishers of Press Gazette:
“Unfortunately Press Gazette, along with much of the profession, has suffered from a declining market during these years and its losses have increased. We have therefore been forced to conclude that the market required to sustain a commercially viable Press Gazette magazine no longer exists. The last hard copy edition of Press Gazette will therefore be the May edition which will be published in April.”
Update: Over at MediaGuardian Roy Greenslade reports that there will be no future news content on the site:
“There will be no journalism on the site,” said Les Kelly, the managing director of Wilmington’s media and entertainment division.
He added: “There will not be news coverage but we will develop the site to offer other services, such as training and freelance referrals.”
- Goodbye Press Gazette: round-up of the links
- Greenslade: Mirror.co.uk on metrics and building loyal online audiences
- Mirror.co.uk unveils new ‘cleaner’ look
- Greenslade: Change of direction for Guardian Media Group?
- Online Journalism Scandinavia: Norway’s Journalisten – a role model for UK journalism trade titles?