With the New York Times expected to introduce paid access to its website from 2011, the Daily Intel looks at what lessons publishers can learn from the implementation of the UK Times’ paywall, including:
- make it RSS-friendly;
- make the price suprisingly low;
- mind your talent;
- and deal with the payment transaction early on.
Related listening: Podcast from the Association of Online Publishers event on paywalls and diversifying revenue streams with the Times’ assistant editor and head of online, Tom Whitwell.
- Podcast: The Times, Guardian and Google at AOP diversifying revenues forum
- #Podcast – Paywall pointers: Digital subscription lessons for news outlets
- Times are changing: an online jobs shuffle at Times Online
- #FollowJourn: @tomwhitwell/assistant editor
- #Podcast: Writing the rules of native advertising