Patch, AOL’s growing network of hyperlocal news and information websites in the US, has announced the foundation of a new charitable arm, Patch.org:
Patch.org will partner with community foundations and other organisations to launch Patch sites and bring objective local news and information to communities and neighborhoods around the world that lack adequate news media and online local information resources.
The Patch.org sites will employ a local journalist to produce original news and content, and aggregate material and information created by the community. Any revenue earned by the sites will be invested back into the community they serve, a press release says.
- paidContent: AOL hyperlocal network Patch plans 400 new sites
- Business Insider: AOL to launch hundreds of local news sites in 2010
- More US publishers sign up for Briggs’ Newsgarden
- Online news network VillageSoup in print expansion
- Star News Online: Why news organisations should link to the competition