National UK newspapers had 1,665,202 followers for their Twitter accounts at the start of October – an increase of 193,266 on September 1 (when they had 1,471,936).
The rate of growth has slowed, however. This is a monthly increase of 13.1 per cent, compared with 17 per cent from August 1 to September 1, and also from July 1 to August 1.
What’s more, 151,555 of the increase (or 78 per cent of the total) is down to just one account – that of @guardiantech (which owes its popularity to its place on the Twitter Suggested User List). Indeed, of the 131 accounts I’m tracking, 51 have fewer followers than me!
You can see the full table here, or below.
- Malcolm Coles: Growth of newspaper Twitter accounts running out of steam
- A guide to newspapers on Twitter
- How the Guardian and Telegraph overtook the Mail in latest ABCe traffic report
- The 100 most influential news media Twitter accounts
- #UKjourn: Growing master list of all UK journalists on Twitter