The Independent’s internal investigation into plagiarism accusations levelled at columnist Johann Hari is now finished and a decision is expected from editor Chris Blackhurst, the Guardian reports.
The investigation was conducted by Andreas Whittam Smith, one of the founders of the newspaper.
Those close to the newspaper say that Whittam Smith, the founding editor of the Independent, was inclined to be lenient as he completed his deliberations, but it is unclear whether Blackhurst will reach the same conclusion. A decision from the newspaper’s new editor is expected shortly.
More from Journalism.co.uk on the Johann Hari plagiarism accusations:
- The top 10 most-read stories on Journalism.co.uk, 24 June-1 July
- The top 10 most-read stories on Journalism.co.uk, 24-30 September
- The top 10 most-read stories on Journalism.co.uk, 10-16 September
- Journalism.co.uk top 10 stories on Twitter in 2011
- Journalism.co.uk’s top 10 stories on Facebook in 2011