WikiLeaks has reportedly registered a business – “its first known legal entity” – in Iceland. Sunshine Press Productions does not yet have an office, but is part of the site’s plans to build a global presence.
The whisteblowing site has strong links with the country already: WikiLeaks and Icelandic MPs have been working on the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative (IMMI). The IMMI calls for better laws in the country to protect journalists and their sources, which has the potential to create a haven for investigative journalists in Iceland.
- WikiLeaks proposal for ‘new media haven’ passed by Icelandic parliament
- BBC News: Wikileaks and Icelandic MPs propose ‘haven’ for investigative journalism
- Could Iceland’s journalism haven create a ‘ripple effect’?
- Nieman Journalism Lab: Iceland’s journalism haven proposal passes first stage
- ‘A real free press for the first time in history’: WikiLeaks editor speaks out in London