And it’s up – the long awaited News International paywall for the new Times and Sunday Times websites has gone up today. This is the screen you get when you try to go beyond the sites’ homepages – thetimes.co.uk and sundaytimes.co.uk. It’s interesting to see what’s not included in the £1 day pass option: email bulletins, mobile access and daily puzzles.
What the web and world is saying about it:
- ExchangeWire.com asks what impact the paywall will have on CPM (Cost per thousand impressions) rates and where it will drive traffic to;
- Science writer Ed Yong laments the paywall’s effect on science journalism from the Times;
- BBC Breakfast describes the paywayll as “a tollbooth in the middle of the ocean”;
- The Guardian cheekily offers a “warm welcome” to “former Times readers” on its News Blog;
- And The Beta Blog looks at paywalls and “game theory”.