WikiLeaks.org, the whistleblowing and transparency website, has temporarily shut its site, citing lack of funds. It promises to be “back soon”.
WikiLeaks, part of the Sunshine Press, is calling for donations to support the publication of “hundreds of thousands” of pages from “corrupt banks, the US detainee system, the Iraq war, China, the UN and many others”.
“We have raised just over $130,000 for this year but can not meaningfully continue operations until costs are covered. These amount to just under $200,000 PA. If staff are paid, our yearly budget is $600,000.”
- Imminent WikiLeaks Iraq cache ‘biggest leak ever’, report suggests
- WikiLeaks announces new release of nearly three million documents
- Media Standards Trust poses questions over Northern & Shell PCC exclusion
- Press freedom group reaffirms support for WikiLeaks after criticisms
- Northcliffe’s operating profits drop 81 per cent