Regional newspapers “have been thrown a lifeline” with a government decision to safeguard £15m of local advertising, reports the Guardian.
The advertising, in the form of planning applications, will still have to be published in local and regional papers, the government is due to announce today , despite a review recommending a relaxation of the rules.
- MediaGuardian: New Northcliffe Media chief to review regional newspaper division
- Ofcom considers removal of regional media ownership restriction
- Reuters Institute papers used in Ofcom regional news review
- Round-up: Ofcom’s public service broadcasting review and ITV regional news cuts
- MediaGuardian: MPs slam council newspapers as councillors defend freesheets