The plunge has already been pretty terrifying for a range of companies from Yahoo and IAC to the newspapers,” writes Gawker founder Nick Denton, referring to his previous prediction that media companies should prepare for a 40 per cent downturn in advertising revenue over the economic cycle.
“But I was wrong in one respect: a few premium internet brands, Gawker’s among them, have withstood the advertising apocalypse.”
- Ad Age: Internet media employment at peak since 2001 despite falls elsewhere
- Washington Post: ‘Whiny WashPost Reporter Makes His Point: Respect the Genuine Article’
- Jo Wadsworth: Where is advertising moving online?
- Ernst & Young: Online search will help reverse fortunes of display and classified ads
- paidContent.org: CondeNet cuts staff across all departments