Yesterday’s #cfund debate on future business models for online news and journalism had plenty of ideas and voices in the mix.
A handy round-up from participant Paul Balcerak, who writes on Wired Journalists about his key points in the debate:
- ‘Let the market handle it’ = do nothing
- Sponsorship for distribution e.g. people who care about journalism should invest in profitable industries outside of journalism and reinvest the profits in news
- Someone needs to try something
Other interesting titbits:
- A whopping 85 per cent against paying for news on a poll during the debate
- Create an online/offline community around a news brand and that community will pay for news online (well it used to work for paid-for newspapers didn’t it?)
- Micropayments have potential if they are used without building a wall around newspapers (from @NewspaperWorld)
Any other participants from the debate are welcome to leave comments/links to their blog posts on the debate.