It’s the time of year again for reviews of 2008, top tens, gift guides and all the rest.
Not another list post, I hear you cry. Would we do that to you, us, Journalism.co.uk?
Well, yes, we would.
For your listing pleasure here’s our 10 of the best of the journo-related variety:
- 1. Regret the Error’s ‘The Year in Media Errors and Corrections’ – as the title suggests.
- 2. Google’s Zeitgeist 2008 – the most commonly searched for and ‘fastest rising’ words and phrases of the year.
- 3. 10,000 Words blog’s top 10 posts of the year – and the stories behind them. (This list even includes other list posts, so we’re getting into the spirit now)
- 4. I Want Media’s Media Person of the Year 2008 – Ariana Huffington beats off competition from Rupert Murdoch and Eric Schmidt of Google.
- 5. Journalisted – okay, so it doesn’t include web journos rather mainly UK print writers, but the journalists listed in this searchable directory is growing.
- 6. Another one from 10,000 Words – ’30 must have gifts for journalists’ in true festive, gift guide style.
- 7. The leaked BNP member’s list – not a list we’d choose to republish, but it certainly sent our blog traffic into overdrive and raised some questions about reporting data leaks.
- 8. The Committee to Protect Journalists’ index of imprisoned journalists (CPJ) – another sobering entry, but this year’s list from the CPJ found more online journalists were imprisoned as of December 1 than those working in other media.
- 9. Top Twitterers – not just journalists, but a lovely superficial list and good to see @stephenfry in 16th with only 155 days under his belt at time of writing.
- 10. This post.
This isn’t the definitive list it could be – online lists can grow – so feel free to add others/plug your own.
UPDATE – some new additions to the pile:
- Charlie Beckett recommends the best journalism books of 2008
- NowPublic has compiled the best user-generated news moments of the year
- Amy Webb’s big list of Twitter applications.