Tool of the week: Greplin
What is it? A private search engine for your personal files and social media accounts
How is it of use to journalists? Greplin allows you to search your Gmail, Google Docs, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Dropbox accounts in the same way as you would use Google to search the web.
For example, you may be working on a story about a company or subject and have information in emails, your Dropbox account, Google Calendar and LinkedIn. One search in Greplin will allow you to surface the source documents and references to the company or topic.
The basic subscription is free and includes those accounts listed above. You can unlock services such as Delicious by tweeting about Greplin, and there are some services, such as Evernote, only available with Greplin Premium.
- App of the week for journalists: Greplin
- App of the week for Journalists: DropSync for Android – syncs with DropBox
- Ten incredibly useful browser add-ons for journalists
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Set up a custom site search in Alfred
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – reporting tools shared at #jiconf