Community Newswire, a news service which works in partnership with the Press Association to assist community groups in getting stories in the media, will close tomorrow due to a cut in funding.
The Cabinet Office has withdrawn funding from the group following October’s government spending review.
The service, which is run by the Media Trust, encourages community groups to contact the organisation and stories are then written up by PA journalists and sent via a PA feed to newsrooms.
In a statement on its website, the Media Trust said it is seeking new funding and hopes to reinstate the service.
- Knight Foundation gives $3.14m to local media projects
- BBC Trust launches ‘its largest’ TV service review – into BBC One, BBC Two and BBC Four
- BBC review of online activities: a better deal for local media?
- #FollowJourn: @martinjemoore / MST director
- Preston hyperlocal site bids for funding for 2012 community project