Online Journalism Blog’s Paul Bradshaw asked Bella Hurrell, specials editor with BBC News Online, how data journalism was affecting their work for a forthcoming article.
As data visualisation has come into the zeitgeist, and we have started using it more regularly in our story-telling, journalists and designers on the specials team have become much more proficient at using basic spreadsheet applications like Excel or Google Docs. We’ve boosted these and other skills through in house training or external summer schools and conferences.
- News numeracy: online tools for reporting numbers
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – How to add a Delicious feed to a spreadsheet
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Follow the new Spreadsheet Journalism blog
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – using spreadsheets for data stories
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – simple graphs for stats stories using Google Docs