Al Jazeera has started paying for tweets to promote its English-language Egypt coverage in the US.
Paul Bradshaw’s Online Journalism Blog compares the move to newspapers using Google Adwords to drive traffic to their sites – except that the sponsored tweets can be replied to and re-tweeted just like any other.
Twitter’s media team says Riyaad Minty, head of social media at Al Jazeera English, is operating the campaign like a news desk.
It also claims that Twitter has helped drive Al Jazeera site traffic up by 2,500 per cent in the last month and that the English language version is on course to triple its number of followers.
- How the five journalists with the greatest online influence use social media
- Tool of the week for journalists – WhenToTweet
- The Economist’s Twitter followers click links, Al Jazeera’s retweet, study finds
- Mashable: Social media is reinvigorating the market for quality journalism
- Twitter to send users emails about RTs and favourites