According to reports this morning, the Swedish director of prosecutions Marianne Ny has called for the arrest of WikiLeaks founder and editor-in-chief Julian Assange. Reports AFP:
I request the District Court of Stockholm to detain Mr Assange in his absence, suspected of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion.
The reason for my request is that we need to interrogate him. So far, we have not been able to meet with him to accomplish the interrogations.
A warrant for Assange’s arrest was issued in October but was withdrawn hours later. He has claimed that the allegations are part of a smear campaign to discredit him following WikiLeaks’ publication of the Afghanistan war logs and Iraq war logs.
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange defends choice to walk out of CNN interview
- True/Slant: How WikiLeaks protects itself
- WikiLeaks director to write column for Swedish tabloid
- #cablegate: WikiLeaks essential to a strong media, Assange argues in new op-ed
- #cablegate: WikiLeaks appeals for support amid sustained cyber attacks