Chilling reports from Russia this week about the defamation trial of Mikhail Beketov, a former chief editor of Khimkinskaya Pravda. Beketov is being sued by the mayor of Khimki. In 2008 he was beaten so badly by unidentified assailants following publication of reports challenging Khimki authorities that he must travel to court by ambulance, reports Radio Free Europe.
More details of Beketov’s case are reported by The Moscow News.
- Independent.co.uk: Russian journalist crippled by attack now fined for defamation
- Defamation conviction against Russian journalist overturned
- Foreign Policy: One year on, Oleg Kashin is still waiting for justice
- Independent in High Court to challenge closed court cases
- RNW: Dutch journalist takes Russia to ECHR