Daniel Romero, a PhD candidate at Cornell University in the US, has produced some fascinating research into news organisations and sources’ influence on Twitter.
Using a study by HP Labs’ Social Computing Lab, which attempts to measure influence on Twitter, Romero has created a list of the 100 most influential news media accounts.
The BBC’s breaking news account, the Wall Street Journal, ESPN and the New York Times all rank within the top 25 most influential. But as our visualisation below of the top 25 accounts in the list shows (click to interact with it), a large number of followers doesn’t always guarantee you more influence – the quality of links and how they are shared also count.
- #Tip: Three handy Twitter tools
- New York Magazine: Weigh-in for New York Times and Wall Street Journal
- Project Cascade: The New York Times’ new visualisation tool for Twitter tracking
- Wall Street Journal uses Foursquare list feature for hurricane evacuation centres
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – Twitter accounts to watch