The Independent reports how its group, Independent News & Media (INM), supported by other media organisations, is currently challenging private hearings for certain cases.
“The cases involve vulnerable people incapable of managing their own affairs, including brain-damaged soldiers, people with Alzheimer’s disease and others lacking mental capacity.
“In a test case before the High Court in London, this newspaper argued that such matters should not be decided in secret by the newly created Court of Public Protection.”
This latest challenge follows the opening up of the family courts earlier this year.
The case will continue at the High Court today.
- BBC: West Midlands Police Tweet from court
- Guardian: Court of protection should be open to media, says leading judge
- Privacy injunction statistics published by Ministry of Justice as part of new pilot scheme
- Judge calls for test civil cases for phone-hacking victims
- The Register/OUT-LAW.com: Times libel ruling is warning for online news archives