Matthew Single, a former British National Party (BNP member, has been fined £200 for breaking data privacy laws after leaking details of the group’s membership online.
Single, who was previously the party’s deputy secuirty head, leaked the information about more than 10,000 BNP members last November, creating a media frenzy – and raising issues about privacy and data protection.
Journalism.co.uk’s reports on the leaked BNP list last November:
- Guardian Politics: Second BNP membership leak expected
- BNP members list leak gathers pace online – to link or not to link?
- BBC CoJo: When a super injunction is not a super injunction
- Privacy injunction statistics published by Ministry of Justice as part of new pilot scheme
- Should bloggers be given the same protection as journalists?