Paul Farrelly, member of the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee, says the committee had to react quickly to the Guardian’s revelations about alleged phone hacking by the News of the World – but acknowledges that ‘the Guardian story has a long pedigree’.
Farrelly adds that the committee will be pursuing the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) further over its phone hacking investigations to date.
- PCC calls for submissions to governance review
- Solicitor Mark Lewis considering legal action against PCC
- MediaGuardian: Phone records suggest 100 accounts hacked by NOTW
- MediaGuardian: Max Clifford plans legal action over NOTW phone hacking
- FT editor criticises Fleet Street for ‘conspiracy of silence’ over phone hacking