Newmediabytes has some good pointers for those journalists and subs looking to get their online headlines perfectly attuned for the search engines to home in on.
Main points (click through for detailed definitions)
– Be clear and concise
– Plan headlines for searchers
– Include appropriate keywords and keyword phrases
– Include FULL NAMES of people and places where applicable
– Include DATELINES
– Keep headlines under 65 characters
The site also has a video of DetNews.com web editor Leslie Rotan talking about some things to remember when writing headlines for the web.
- BBC Research and Development blog: Could the Mythology Engine be applied to online news stories?
- Five tips for writing an effective press release
- Regional newspaper editor asks for job applications via Twitter
- Newsweek experiments with Twitter profile of Michele Bachmann
- Suzanne Yada: Resolutions for journalism students