The Financial Times isn’t the only site reporting on the future of the Observer, which according to inside sources could cease publication in its current format.
Roy Greenslade has a round-up of the speculation here (no inside track from the Guardian blogger, however, he says).
According to an FT source, Observer staff discovered a secret mock-up of a weekly news magazine carrying the title’s branding.
“They [GNM] came up with a similar plan to close us down five years ago, and it was fought off. This time it seems to be couched in terms of saving The Guardian, so you have to think it is much more serious,” a ‘senior Observer journalist’ told the FT.
Tags: FT.com, GBP, guardian news and media, journalist, observer, Roy Greenslade, senior Observer, The Financial Times, The Guardian
- Staff to be briefed on Observer’s future tomorrow, says Sunday Times
- MediaGuardian: GMG ‘set to report operating loss’
- UPDATE: Guardian to cut 100 jobs; GNM running at £100,000-a-day loss
- MediaGuardian: Independent News & Media falls into the red
- NewsDay: Defunct Zimbabwe publisher fights NewsDay for its name