NUJ prepared to suspend BBC strikes after new talks offer

The National Union of Journalists says it is prepared to suspend the second 48-hour BBC strike it has planned for 15 and 16 November, after the broadcaster offered new talks in the ongoing pensions dispute.

In a press release, the union said the BBC must first withdraw disciplinary action against three of its members overseas, claiming they were disciplined after supporting the strike action which took place on Friday and Saturday last week.

Jeremy Dear, the NUJ’s general secretary said the union welcomes “the BBC’s change of heart”.

We will enter those talks determined to seek a negotiated settlement. But we remain committed, and authorised, to take further industrial, political and legal action in the event that talks fail to deliver a fair pensions settlement.

In a statement Lucy Adams, director of BBC People said she also welcomes the NUJ’s decision to “lift the threat of strikes”.

This is good news for the licence fee payer. While the BBC cannot afford to reopen the pension reform deal agreed with the majority of staff, we have agreed to meet with the joint unions, including the NUJ. In that meeting, we will discuss points of clarification raised in a letter this afternoon from Gerry Morrissey, General Secretary of BECTU and the leader of the joint unions at the BBC.

Leave a Reply