As reported by Journalism.co.uk last week, the Guardian’s trial of hyperlocal advertising system Addiply has spread across all three of its recently launched local “beatblogs”. The system, which offers low cost adverts that can be sold on a weekly or monthly basis with different rates for different sized customers, went live on the Leeds site last Thursday before being introduced to the Cardiff and Edinburgh Guardian Local sites.
Publishers retain 90 per cent of the revenue earned from the ads, with the remaining 10 per cent split between Addiply and PayPal.
“One of the things Addiply is good for is for people to be able to promote their own community events and local services. It’s not designed or intended to bring in big name advertisers; it’s more for the smaller advertisers in the community or for people listing individual items for sale,” Sarah Hartley, Guardian Local launch editor, told Journalism.co.uk last week.
- Next Generation Journalist: how to make hyperlocal work
- JEEcamp: online revenue models – the Waghorn way
- OJR: Interview with chief news officer of hyperlocal news site OurTown
- paidContent: Northcliffe plans to tap into hyperlocal network for advertising revenue
- Mashable: Local accounting for 74 per cent of advertising revenue on Facebook, says report