The Toronto Star’s John Honderich looks at five options for funding investigative stories in Canada. These are already relatively well-known examples among journalist/media commentators and bloggers, but Honderich’s post is an interesting read.
- Government funded or subsidised journalism
- Independent non-profit newsrooms, a la ProPublica.
- Using private foundations, such as Philip Stern’s the Fund for Investigative Journalism
- Participatory investigative journalism, e.g Spot.us
- Journalism students working in tandem with investigative reporters