App of the week: Tout
Phones: iPhone, Android
What is it? An app that allows you to record and share 15-second video clips.
How is it of use to journalists? Last week we reported on how and why Wall Street Journal reporters are sharing short videos filmed on their mobile phones.
The news site has created WorldStream, a micro-video blog by reporters, to provide context and “impressionistic colour”, Liz Heron, director of social media and engagement at the Wall Street Journal, told Journalism.co.uk.
Reporters provide the content by using a customised version of Tout, modified to allow WSJ reporters to post clips of up to 45 seconds.
Heron told Journalism.co.uk how readers are far more likely to view a short video clip shared on social media than a long film.
Other journalists can take inspiration and use the app to create and share smartphone footage. Tout also allows you to connect with the network of users, which includes 400 WSJ reporters.
Have you got a favourite app that you use as a journalist? Fill in this form to nominate an app for Journalism.co.uk’s app of the week for journalists.
Tags: app for journalists, tout, Wall Street Journal
- App of the week for journalists: Viddy, like Instagram for video
- App of the week for journalists: Splice, an easy video editor
- EditorsWeblog: Emerging nations favour mobile internet access
- #Tip of the day for journalists – newsgathering with social media
- App of the week: 360 Panorama, for ‘multilayered storytelling’