Social media has become a vital tool for distributing content and its growing usefulness in finding stories and sources makes it a key part of the modern journalist’s toolbox.
Self-proclaimed social newswire Storyful has made a business out of finding stories on social media, far beyond the mainstream of Facebook and Twitter, and shared some tips on the subject recently.
In a blog post looking at how to “discover content” on Chinese social network Weibo, Storyful’s Sophia Xu said “its integration with other social platforms make it the first place where Chinese users spread news and share viral stories”.
The whole thing is well worth a read if you’re looking to find stories that may not have made it into the English-language media.Tags: advice, journalism tips, social media news, Storyful, tools, weibo
- App of the week for journalists: Storyful, for curated social media stories
- #Tip: Find potential sources with Foursquare
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Give the new Tweetdeck a second chance
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Read Storyful’s new ebook on social newsgathering
- #Podcast – Tips and tools for sorting the social media chaos