In the past few years a number of projects have cropped up which are trying to use crowdfunding as one mean to finance individual journalism pitches as well as journalism-related companies.
In this week’s podcast we speak to those who have ‘been there, done that, got the t-shirt’ when it comes to crowdsourcing revenues and can share the lessons learned along the way, as well as hearing from those taking their first steps on this path.
Interviewees included in the podcast are:
- David Cohn, founder, Spot.Us
- Bobbie Johnson, co-founder, Matter
- Henry Peirse, founder and CEO, GRN
- Karim Ben Khelifa, co-founder and CEO, Emphas.is
- Rachel Howells, director, Local News South Wales/Port Talbot MagNet
For some background reading you can see more about the launch of Emphas.is last year at this link, as well as the launch of Matter just last month. GRN has also blogged about the launch of Matter on its website.
Journalism.co.uk has also reported on Port Talbot’s crowdfunding ventures with Pitch-in! at this link.
You can hear future podcasts by signing up to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes podcast feed.Tags: community, crowdfunding, Podcast, revenues
- How a hyperlocal is calling on the community for crowdfunding with Pitch-in!
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – Crowdfunding for photojournalism
- #jpod – Hyperlocal news: Struggles for sustainability online and successes in print
- 13.2 jobs could go at Trinity Mirror’s Media Wales; NUJ members to hold strike ballot
- Update on cuts at Trinity Mirror’s Media Wales – 15 (.2) jobs at risk