IJNet.org has collected together a series of tips from social news editor for the Huffington post Mandy Jenkins and editorial director of OpenFile.ca and author of Regret the Error Craig Silverman, on the steps journalists can take to verify news tips which come in via social networks such as Twitter. This includes ways to check a person’s credibility, how to follow up on the tip and how to check the credibility of the information itself and corroborate the story.
Their advice comes from presentations they gave at the Online News Association Conference in Boston, which are also linked to in the post.
Tipster: Rachel McAthy
If you have a tip you would like to submit to us at Journalism.co.uk email us using this link – we will pay a fiver for the best ones published.Tags: Craig Silverman, ijnet.org, Mandy Jenkins, social media, Twitter, verification
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – data-driven journalism
- #Tip: Check out these 21 tips for ‘mobile ninjas’
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – social media filtering
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – advice for hyperlocal startups
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – reporting tools shared at #jiconf