Freelance Unbound has produced a great post looking at the current state of the journalism jobs market, based on data analysis of Journalism.co.uk’s own job listings.
Judging by their analysis, it seems that roles in specialist business journalism for publications based in London are your best bet:
job advertising, Jobs, journalism jobs, media jobs
The most telling items in the chart are the tiny slices for lifestyle and celebrity – the most popular media choices for j-students – and for general news reporting. Very few jobs are advertised in these areas (at least here).
- Folio: 115 predictions for the media and magazines in 2010
- Freelance Unbound: ‘How the social web has changed the journalist’s working day’
- Advertising Age: US newspapers cut 109,500 jobs in past five years
- Hitwise: Google News dominated by celebrity search
- Martin Cloake/Freelance Unbound: What’s the value of journalism? An online debate