Last week Independent News & Media (INM) introduced a new freemium model to 13 of its regional newspaper websites in Ireland.
Much content on the sites will remain free, but charges will be introduced for iPhone apps, digital editions and online subscriptions, where there will be a choice between micropayments per article, bundles and time-based subscriptions.
Introduction to the new premium content sections at this link, via The Kerryman’s website, and a letter about the changes from group editor Declan Malone here.Tags: declan malone, freemium, Independent News & Media, INM, Ireland, local and regional newspapers, paid content, paywall, paywalls
- FT.com: WSJ to introduce micropayments
- Advertising Age: Magazines to sell subscriptions in Facebook news feed
- #soe09: Hyperlocal, mobile and experimentation for newspapers, say Brittin and Newland
- France magazine editor writes for Times Online
- #AOPsummit: Media leaders encourage experimentation and openness to failure