How much of a say should news outlets have over what their journalists post on social media?
If you’re in the process of putting together a set of social media guidelines for your company or are simply curious, take a look at this a list of social media guidelines from international news organisations including the BBC, Associated Press and Reuters.
The list was curated by Kelly Fincham, a journalism professor at Hofstra University in New York, who has also annotated each set of guidelines with a brief comment: “Exhaustive and excellent – particularly on retweets” (AP), “Must for aspiring sports journos” (ESPN), and, “In a nutshell: Don’t be stupid (BBC).
Hat tip to Marc Settle, project producer at the BBC College of Journalism, who tweeted about this list.Tags: AP, BBC, guidelines, journalism tips, reuters, social media
- Storify: Top tips in a tweet for aspiring journalists
- Is World Journalism in Crisis? The podcasts
- #journalistconf: Best practice examples of social media use in journalism
- Guardian Student Media Awards 2011: shortlist announced
- #facethefuture: Coventry University to discuss challenges facing digital journalists