The rise in the use of data in journalism has brought with it a need to be able to accurately portray that data in a way that is easy for readers to understand.
This can sometimes be a hurdle for small newsrooms or independent journalists who do not have a background in digital design but Ann K Emery an evaluation, data and visualisation consultant at Innovation Network has put together a useful list of tips for beginners in the field.
This post on her blog about the data visualisation design has advice on the process from beginning to end and is worth having a look at even if it is just to better understand the process a newsroom designer may go through.
- #Tip: Bookmark these resources for data journalism
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – tools for beginner data journalists
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – data and visualisation blogs
- #Tip: How to build sources when you’re starting out
- EJC taking responses for data-driven journalism survey