No matter how small your newsroom, or how scarce your resources, data journalism is far from off the agenda.
In this week’s podcast, those who have walked in your shoes share some pointers for staying ahead of the data game, offer some time-saving tips and recommend free tools to help you along the way.
We speak to:
- Nicolas Kayser-Bril, co-founder and head of Journalism++, who gave this presentation on ‘frugal data journalism’ at the Digital Journalism World conference last week
- Paul Bradshaw, who leads the masters in online journalism at Birmingham University, is a visiting professor at City University and runs the Online Journalism Blog where he recently posted some thoughts on the subject of efficiency in data journalism
- David Ottewell, head of data journalism, Trinity Mirror
- Kathryn Torney, journalist, The Detail
- Esa Makinen, data journalist, Helsingin Sanomat
- #Tip: Advice on ethics and best practice in data journalism
- #jpod: How journalists can best use Facebook pages
- #PPAdigital: Paul Bradshaw’s five principles of data management
- #jpod – Advice on verifying social media content and correcting errors
- Online Journalism Blog: What should an MA in Online Journalism teach?