This podcast looks at drone technology and when journalists can – and cannot – use unmanned copters.
We hear about the legal position in the UK and the US, the current technological possibilities and limitations, and the types of stories best suited to these flying cameras. We also hear when they might start to be regularly used by news outlets.
Journalism.co.uk technology editor Sarah Marshall speaks to:
- Professor Matt Waite, founder of the Drone Journalism Lab at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Thomas Hannen, senior innovations producer at the BBC Global Video Unit
You can hear future podcasts by signing up to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes podcast feed.
You might also be interested in this feature on drone journalism we published in June.
- #Podcast: Talking social media and interactives at Al Jazeera
- #Podcast: Examining data-driven health reporting
- #jpod – Celebrating Local Newspaper Week: Innovations in digital at the regionals
- #Podcast – Lessons in online video for local, niche, national and international publishers
- #Podcast: What skills do journalists need in the newsroom of 2013?