If you use Google Analytics to track traffic to your news site, make sure you use Google Analytics Real-Time, which tells you the number of people on your site right now.
It shows referrals (such as those coming via Twitter) and you can also see how many people are reading on a desktop, tablet or smartphone device.
You can access ‘real-time’ via the main dashboard in Google Analytics.
The content breakdown, which shows the percentage of visitors reading on desktop, tablet and mobile, is accessed by clicking on the ‘content’ tab (below ‘real-time’). It is a relatively new feature which was announced at the end of March.
Have a go – but be aware that it is rather addictive…
- You can now see how many readers are online with Google Analytics real-time reports
- Analytics to help news sites understand the mobile audience
- Nieman: ‘The real tablet revolution seems to be upon us’
- Poynter: How to set up Newsbeat, real-time analytics tool for news sites
- #Tip: Check out Chartbeat Rising to see popular topics