There are a couple of good posts on how to verify images from social media following the sharing of fake Hurricane Sandy pictures on Twitter and Facebook.
Fiona McCann from social news agency Storyful has written a guide on how to spot a fake image in three easy steps. She talks through the process of using Google Images and TinEye and reminds journalists to check sources.
On Poynter Craig Silverman has shared links to useful verification articles.
Here is a guide on verification published earlier this year by Journalism.co.uk.
If you have a tip you would like to submit to us at Journalism.co.uk email us using this link.
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Watch Storyful’s Hangout on verifying Sandy footage
- App of the week for journalists – Teleportd, location-based Twitter and Facebook image search
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Save this list of verification tools
- Hurricane Sandy and verification: 4 key takeaways from Storyful Hangout
- #jpod – Advice on verifying social media content and correcting errors