The Mobile Media Strategies conference is underway in London today where Benedict Evans from Enders Analysis delivered the keynote presentation. Here are eight facts from his talk.
1. Half of the UK population has a smartphone.
2. Android and iOS mobile device sales combined are on target to hit 1 billion by end of this year.
3. More than half of Facebook’s user base is using mobile.
4. iOS users by five apps per month, per device.
5. Fifteen per cent of UK adults say they have a tablet. It is not reducing PC sales but the home computer gets switched on less and less.
6. Between Apple and Amazon they have a product at “pretty much all price points”, meaning they can be bought in the supermarket “without the need for a family conversation” about whether to make the purchase.
7. Android has about one third of the global tablet market and 10 per cent of the UK tablet market. But that could change.
8. Twelve per cent of tablet magazine and newspaper readers in April didn’t read print version previously, 20 per cent now read magazines and newspapers less.
In summary, Evans said:
If you are going to invest in developing for three mobile platforms – make them iOS, Android and Facebook.