Social news platform Reddit is an often untapped news source. Last week Reddit gained particular attention from Nieman Journalism Lab, Time and other outlets in the way details of the Aurora, Colorado cinema shooting were surfaced on the platform.
No news organisation or social media site currently offers an experience that’s concurrently as immediate, engaging and thorough as the one offered by Reddit.
This week we reported how freelance journalist and digital producer for the Guardian and New York Times Benji Lanyado has built The Reddit Edit, which simplifies and beautifies Reddit, pulling the top content from the platform.
He told Journalism.co.uk that he regularly spots stories in feature sections of newspapers and magazines and realises he has seen the topic the previous week on Reddit.
If you are not familiar with the platform but want to use Reddit as a potential source for news and features, Mashable has a guide on how to get started.
- Guardian.co.uk: Paris TwiTrip – the verdict
- #Podcast – Snow Fall and beyond: A look at long-form online storytelling
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – bookmark Top 5 News
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – a journalist’s guide to Reddit
- MediaGuardian Radio Reborn 2008: Guardian readies ads for podcasts