In this week’s podcast we collect together practical advice from those working in digital journalism on the best techniques and tools journalists can use to verify content posted on social media platforms.
The experts emphasise that wherever possible journalists are encouraged to make contact with sources of content directly, such as by phone, but there are also additional checks journalists can make as part of the verification process.
Advice featured in the podcast ranges from how to effectively monitor platforms, how to investigate both the content and source of material and then, once it has been reported (with clear reference to the level of verification achieved), what to do if material later turns out to not be as it first seemed.
- Claire Wardle, director of development and integration, Storyful
- Malachy Browne, news editor, Storyful
- Fergus Bell, senior producer and UGC lead, Associated Press
- Paul Bradshaw, course leader of online journalism MA at Birmingham City University, visiting professor at City University London and publisher of Online Journalism Blog and HelpMeInvestigate
- Craig Silverman, founder, Regret the Error, now published on Poynter
Background reading/resources on verification:
- Paul Bradshaw, Online Journalism Blog: ‘Content, context and code: verifying information online’
- Craig Silverman, Columbia Journalism Review: ‘Best Practices for Social Media Verification’
- Peter Verweij, Memeburn: ‘Seven top tips for verifying tweets’
- Craig Kanalley, Media Helping Media: ‘Trusting Tweets, a guide for journalists‘
- Journalism.co.uk: ‘#media140 – Al Jazeera’s early start reporting revolutions’
During my interview with Craig Silverman this week, we spoke about the use of crowdsourcing in verification. His comments on this are in the audio below, in which he also refers to some of the advice shared with him by Andy Carvin from National Public Radio:
You can hear future podcasts by signing up to the Journalism.co.uk iTunes podcast feed.
- #Podcast: Best practice pointers for handling online news corrections
- Hurricane Sandy and verification: 4 key takeaways from Storyful Hangout
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Watch Storyful’s Hangout on verifying Sandy footage
- #Podcast – Tips and tools for sorting the social media chaos
- #Tip of the day for journalists: Learn from fake Hurricane Sandy pictures