Jeremy Darroch, the chief executive of British Sky Broadcasting, has confirmed that he asked Sky News to pull a story on Formula 1, ahead of the launch of a Sky F1 HD channel.
“I asked the team to review the story,” Darroch told the Guardian Changing Media Summit, where he was delivering a keynote speech in which he announced the launch of a no contract, pay-as-you-go internet TV service from Sky called NowTV.
He said Sky News “has absolute independence and integrity” but added that “there are times as CEO … when you have to challenge parts of the business”.
- #followjourn – @lheron/social media editor
- Aggregators, plagiarists and kleptomaniacs: Rupert Murdoch’s Beijing speech in full
- How the Young Turks thinks it will ‘destroy the old media’ (audio)
- MediaGuardian: Channel 5 plans revamp of news programmes
- Media release: Reuters launches 24-hour live news stream