App of the week: Greplin
What is it? An app that allows you to search personal files, calendars, tweets and more.
How is it of use to journalists? Greplin is a fantastic tool which allows you to search your accounts, including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Yahoo Mail, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox and LinkedIn.
It’s available via a browser but has an iPhone app which is likely to become one of your most used apps if you use several of the above accounts.
The app will allow you to enter a keyword and find any reference to that word in your personal files.
Mac users are likely to find it almost as useful as Apple’s Spotlight for searching your own documents, tweets and emails.
Greplin users have the option to pay for a premium service and add more accounts, including Delicious. For anyone who uses the bookmarking tool this can be an attractive option as you can easily find articles you bookmarked in relation to a keyword.
- Tool of the week for journalists – Greplin, to search your private files and profiles
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – reporting tools shared at #jiconf
- App of the week for journalists: TweetCaster, a Twitter app with souped-up search
- Tool of the week for journalists – Facebook Search
- Tool of the week for journalists – DocumentCloud, to analyse documents as data