App of the week:Google Latitude
Phones: iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Symbian
What is it? An app, web app, website and mobile site that allows you to add your location to a Google Map.
How is it of use to journalists? This was tip picked up from Paul Gallagher, head of online content at the Manchester Evening News.
During a session on mobile reporting at news:rewired, a conference about the latest trends in digital journalism, Gallagher explained how the MEN online newsdesk has encouraged reporters to use Google Latitude to add locations two paricular stories.
When Manchester City and Manchester United faced each other at Wembley in the FA Cup final in 2011, MEN sent reporters on the fan buses and created atmosphere by reporters geotagging locations as they travelled, using Google Latitude on a mobile phone.
MEN also used Google Latitude when reporting on roadworks, liveblogging a slow journey.
- #Tip of the day from Journalism.co.uk – a mobile media toolkit for smartphone reporting
- #Tip: Follow Sky News reporter in using Bambuser to livestream video
- DNA 2008: CNN says no ‘mojos’ for five years
- TheGame: How World Cup journalism works
- #Podcast – How iPhones to ‘green screen Nokias’ are being used for mobile journalism